Sevens Wild with Shetler and Vaccaro in one and two for 410 Sprints
Shetler, Gaston, Stein, Joiner and Hickok Victorious at Thunder Mountain Speedway
By: Tyler Hopper
August 21, 2009
An eventful night at Thunder Mountain Speedway gave fans the opportunity to meet their favorite racers, grab an autograph, and see those marvelous noise making, octane drinking, mud slinging machines up-close. Sevens were wild in the 410 Sprint feature race, number 7K, Dan Shetler, and 7T, Troy Vaccaro, finished first and second on the podium. Winners of regular racing were Matt Gaston (Steel Block Late Model), Ray Hickok (Pure Stock), Scott Stein (Super Stock), and Jason Joiner (Thunderbolt Enduro) on Health Source Chiropractic Night.
Dan Shetler started off strong in the 410 Sprints, but Troy Vaccaro had his number, literally. The two exchanged places throughout the first lap of the race, with Vaccaro claiming the position and holding it for the next five laps. On lap six, coming out of turn two, Shetler weaved to the left and right of Vaccaro, deciding on the inside of turn three to make his move. On the front straight Shetler led the way. Chris Best saw some action in the battle for fourth being taken on by Gary Rankin and Gale Ruth Sr on the inside of turn four. Both tries came up unsuccessful. As the flagman waved the white flag, Gale Ruth Jr built up enough extra motivation for one final push to claim second place, however he was unsuccessful and finished third behind lucky number sevens. Making up the rest of the field were Best, G. Rankin, Chuck Brion, Eric Williams, Ruth Sr, and Sheila Rankin.
The action of Steel Block Late Models began with Rick Maxim taking the lead from pole position followed by Luke Hoffner, who started directly behind him in the second row. The laps that followed were interrupted by spin outs and flat tires. When the action resumed, Hoffner took the inside of Maxim, while at the same time Ed Connor tried the same move on Hoffner. Maxim pulled away leaving Connor and Hoffner side by side around turn two. On lap eight Hoffner overtook Maxim, but Maxim spun out on turn one, letting everyone moved up one position while he went to the end. Hoffner now sat in the lead followed by Denny Fenton and Matt Gaston. Gaston took the backseat to Fenton for two laps and decided he wanted to push Hoffner out of the lead himself. Six laps later and Gaston took the lead, followed by Hoffner, Fenton, Chuck Kennedy, Connor, Chris Clark, Scott Alvetro, Maxim, and Larry Wingard.
Scott Stein, filling in for an injured Tim Bish, almost totally dominated the Super Stock race. Starting behind Fuzzy Fields, Stein didn’t take the lead until lap four on the backstretch. The fight for third changed hands between Gary Luzier and Steve Cook, with Luzier taking the position with three to go to finish up in third. Fourth place was taken over by Jamie Price, who started in the ninth row and managed to work his way to the front with three laps left. Fields pressured Stein the entire race, but wasn’t able to take back the lead. The top five of Stein, Fields, Luzier, Price, and Connor were followed by Brent Lee, Jim Handyside Jr., Skip Lindemuth, Steve Cook, and Johnny Lindenpitz.
Ray Hickok came from the third row to finish first in Pure Stocks with a last minute overtaking of Adam Brink. Brian Rhed started off in the lead followed by Kyle Shannon, and Josh Fields. A smoky fourth lap for Steven Cook forced him to the pits, and he didn’t return to racing action. Shannon started to move up on Rhed in lap three and took the lead through the inside of turn two. Ray Hickok and Josh Fields exchanged places in a battle for fifth, but neither driver gained any ground. Shannon took the lead from Rhed on lap four. With seven to go, a mid-field battle between Jim Challingsworth and Zach Gustafson developed; Challingsworth overtook Gustafson, only to lose the position moments later. In a cloud of smoke and dust, Jason Young cut turn 3 short and drove into the infield and eventually worked his way into the pits. The top five Pure Stocks were Ray Hickok, Adam Brink, Dustin Challingsworth, Josh Fields, and Zach Gustafson. Making up the final five for the top ten are Kyle Shannon, Jim Challingsworth, Guy Coder, and Steve Arthers.
Jason Joiner dominated the largest field of the evening, the Thunderbolt Enduros. Chad Greeley claimed second place behind Joiner at the start of the raid, but Chris Hickok had his sights set on the leader, moving up in lap two. Hickok trailed Joiner for the entire 12 lap race; every attempt he made for an overtaking came up short. Fourth place was a sought after position by at few individuals. Chuck White and John Miller fought for three laps until Chad Greeley moved back and Miller moved up. The top five finishers were Jason Joiner, Chris Hickok, John Miller, Chad Greeley, and Jamey Lee. Finishing up the back half of the top ten were Randy Holliday, Randy Rickard, Cherokee Ruth, Michael Fields, and Wayne Terwillinger.
Be sure to check out the action next weekend on Friday, August 28 at 7:30 for the Season Championship Double Points Race. The season points trophies will be awarded after completion of the night’s events.
410 SPRINTS: (10 Cars)
1. DAN SHETLER, 2. TROY VACCARO, 3. Gale Ruth Jr, 4. Chris Best, 5. Gary Rankin, 6. Chuck Brion, 7. Eric Williams, 8. Gale Ruth Sr, 9. Sheila Rankin, 10. Nate Stein – DNF.
HEAT WINNERS: Chris Best, Troy Vaccaro
SUPER STOCKS: (17 Cars)
1. SCOTT STEIN, 2. Fuzzy Fields, 3. Gary Luzier, 4. Jamie Price, 5. Brandon Connor, 6. Brent Lee, 7. Jim Handyside Jr., 8. Skip Lindemuth, 9. Steve Cook, 10. Johnny Lindenpitz, 11. Steve Barnes, 12. Ray Reed – DNF, 13. Jamie Barber - DNF, 14. Denny Draisma - DNF, 15. Chad Obrien - DNF, 16. Jeff Mease - DNF, 17. Ron Lindenpitz - DNS,
HEAT WINNERS: Scott Stein, Steve Cook
STEEL BLOCK LATE MODELS: (11 Cars)
1. MATT GASTON, 2. Luke Hoffner, 3. Denny Fenton, 4. Chuck Kennedy, 5. Ed Connor, 6. Scott Alvetro, 7. Rick Maxim, 8. Larry Wingard, 9. Jason Witherite – DNF, 10. Jake Shady - DNF, 11. Bruce Raybuck- DNF.
HEAT WINNERS: Hoffner, Gaston
PURE STOCKS: (12 Cars)
1. RAY HICKOK, 2. Adam Brink, 3. Dustin Challingsworth, 4. Josh Fields, 5. Zach Gustafson, 6. Kyle Shannon, 7. Jim Challingsworth, 8. Guy Coder, 9. Steve Arthers, 10. John Barley, 11. Guy Coder, 12. Josh Fields, 13. Ray Hickok - DNF, 14. Ryan Jones – DNF, 15. BJ Hudson – DNF, 16. Kyle Lindenmuth, 17. Todd English – DNS, 18. Brian McKinney – DNS, 19. Mike Calhoun – DNS, 20. Dustin Challingsworth
HEAT WINNERS: Cook, Fields
THUNDERBOLT ENDUROS: (18 Cars)
1. JASON JOINER, 2. Chris Hickok, 3. John Miller, 4. Chad Greeley, 5.Jamey Lee, 6. Randy Holliday, 7. Randy Rickard, 8. Chuck White, 9. Cherokee Ruth, 10.Michael Fields, 11. Wayne Terwillinger, 12. Rusty Murray, 13. Cory Silvis - DNF, 14. Sam Orf Jr. - DNF, 15. Roswell Babcock - DNF, 16. Steve Arthers - DNF, 17. Scott Brocious - DNF, 18. Ryan Kemmer – DNF.
HEAT WINNERS: Arthers, Hickok