2010 Steel Block Late Model Rules
1. Late model chassis are allowed. Stock clip cars will be allowed, with a
maximum weight of 3100 lbs. Minimum wheel base is 103”.
2. Full frame stock type cars will not be allowed.
3. All cars must have tow hooks on front and rear. *(MANDATORY)
4. Minimum car weight with driver at end of event is 2400 lbs.
1. Bodies are limited to North American manufactured production cars.
2. Cars must have type of body displayed on the car with three inch letters
(examples: Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, Taurus, Intrepid, or Mustang).
3. The body’s sides must go over the top of the deck. Deck is not permitted to go
over the side of the body.
4. Windshield screen or two vertical bars are mandatory. Vertical bars must have
a minimum spacing of 7”.
5. Drivers’ compartment must have floor boards and firewall. Front, rear and
sides must be constructed to provide maximum safety for driver.
6. No tunnels of any kind will be allowed underneath the body or chassis.
7. Maximum height is forty-four inches to top of spoiler. Spoiler must be made
of clear lexan type material and may be a maximum size of 8” tall including
roll or any angle bracing material. Maximum width including sides will be 72”.
If angle bracing material is used the angle must be turned down.
8. Maximum width of the deck is 72”; maximum width of the body at center of
driver’s seat on the bottom is 76”.
9. Maximum length of spoiler sides will be 18”. Spoiler sides must not extend
10. Maximum length of rear quarter panel will be 46” from center of rear axel to
further most point on quarter panel (does not include spoiler or spoiler side).
11. Rub rails must be behind body panels.
12. Cars must have 18” high numbers on each side and on roof and 4” high
numbers on front left fender. *(Roof number must be of contrasting colors
and be easily viewed from scoring tower, MANDATORY)
13. Minimum window opening for driver and right side windows are 12” tall (A
12” ball must be able to pass through the opening).
1. All cars must have a minimum of four post design with four horizontal bars on
2. Roll cages must have X type construction behind drivers seat.
3. Roll cage must have a minimum of 3 bars on right side.
4. Roll cage should have a minimum of 4” of space between driver’s helmet and
top of roll bar.
5. Minimum roll bar thickness for bars surrounding driver’s area is .095.
1. Driver controlled weight jacks or traction control devices are not permitted.
*(Any traction control devices found will be confiscated and become
property of Thunder Mountain Speedway)
2. Coil over shocks and manual weight jacks will be permitted.
3. All cars must have working brakes on all four wheels. Right front shut off
devices will be allowed.
1. Gasoline/*Alcohol race fuels will both be permitted. Cars running alcohol
are required to have a 4” letter “A” on the fuel cell. Gaseous type fuels will
not be permitted
2. Electric fuel pumps will not be allowed.
3. Fuel lines are not permitted in driver’s compartment unless encased in metal
tubing with both ends exiting beyond the driver’s compartment. Fuel lines
may be steel, aluminum or rubber type fuel line.
1. NO aluminum blocks will be allowed. Any carburetor will be allowed. Turbos,
superchargers or any kind of injectors (fuel or gas) will not be allowed.
2. Dry sumps will be allowed.
3. Any transmission will be allowed but it must have a working reverse. *Any
stock type clutch/flywheel is required to run steel scatter shield bell
4. Drive shaft may be steel or aluminum and they must be painted white or have 3
white reflective strips on them. *All driveshaft are required to have a front
driveshaft safety loop.
5. All cars must have working starters and be able to start under their own power.
6. Quick change rear’s and floater rear ends are permitted.
1. Any type of wheel permitted. Maximum width 14”.
2. Any racing tire permitted, but not to exceed 1100 series.
3. Any brand and compound allowed.
1. Only racing fuel cells are permitted.
2. Fuel cells must be encased in a metal enclosure.
3. Fuel cell must be securely fastened to the frame.
1. A fire extinguisher must be mounted in reach of driver from the driver’s seat.
2. Only metal or the equivalent racing seats are permitted.
3. Five point harnesses (MANDATORY). All racing belts except crotch belt are
to be 3” minimum.
4. Any belts found to be frayed or torn will not be permitted and the car will not
be permitted on to track surface until replaced.
5. Driver’s window nets are required.
6. All cars will have a master battery disconnect that driver can reach from seat
and safety personal can reach from outside of the car.
7. All cars are to be clean and in presentable condition.
* *If the rules don’t say you can, you can’t**
**In the event of a conflict between any class rule and speedway general and
Safety rules, the speedway rules will take precedence. **
**Any cars found deficient in the above stated rules will only be permitted to
Run at the discretion of the track safety/tech personal**